Several colleges/ universities in the country conduct entrance exams for the intake of students interested in medical science. The minimum criterion is science in 10+2 level with minimum 50% marks (physics, biology, chemistry and mathematics). Almost all the candidates aspiring to be Doctors take the All India Tests. The common medical entrance examination is conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) along with the State Medical Council Board and the individual universities and colleges for admission to MBBS courses in medical colleges all over the country. Students opting for Medical/BDS courses are tested in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. All the medical entrance exams/tests are conducted every year in the months of April and May.
Some of the major MBBS entrance tests conducted by the universities and colleges:
- AIIMS Entrance Exams – All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam
- AIPMT- All India –Pre Medical/ Pre Dental Entrance Exam
- AIMS- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences
- AFMC- Armed Forces Medical College exam
- All India Common Entrance Exam, Vinayaka Mission University
- All India common Entrance test, Dr. DY Patil Medical College.
- AMU Medical Entrance Exam
- BLDE University under graduate entrance Test
- DUMET - Delhi University Medical/ Dental Entrance test
- Haryana PMT -Haryana Pre- Medical Test
- HP CPMT - Himachal Pradesh Combined Pre Medical Entrance Test HP CPMT Medical Entrance Exam
- JIPMER - Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education and Research
- KLE UGAIET / PGAIET - KLE University Under Graduate/Post Graduate All India Entrance Test
- KEAM- Kerala Entrance Exam (MBBS, BDS, BV.Sc AND AH)
- EAMCET- Andhra Pradesh
- MP DMAT - All India Dental & Medical Admission Test - Madhya Pradesh
- PGIMER - Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology Medical Entrance Exam.
- UPCPMT – Uttar Pradesh Combined Pre-Medical Test
Admission to the MBBS is based on the marks gained in the entrance exams. There are quite a number of recognized colleges all over India which admit students for MBBS program based on the entrance exam conducted at the respective state. All India entrance exams will have test centers all over India including minor cities.
Syllabus of the entrance test is based on the class XI and XII course. The knowledge is tested in Physics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology. Apart from testing knowledge on Physics, Chemistry and Biology, certain exams also test the knowledge on English, General Knowledge, Mental Ability and Gandhian Ideologies etc. The weightage of the aforementioned subjects vary from exam to exam.